ParkwayHealth Gleneagles Chengdu Hospital Providing Western China with Accessible Health Care
Chengdu, Sichuan, China
To design the first internationally owned, tertiary health care facility in Chengdu that will serve the residents of western China and the Sichuan province, all within an adaptive reuse of a shopping mall.
The Design Solution
Built within a former shopping mall, Parkway Health’s Gleneagles Chengdu Hospital features modern health care facilities that include obstetrics, gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, orthopedics, ophthalmology and internal medicine. Located in the Perennial International Health and Medical Hub, the hospital is conveniently located for patients arriving from the Chengdu East High-Speed Railway Station.
The Design Impact
This multidisciplinary hospital is slated for completion in 2019 and will provide easily accessible health care for the region’s 150 million residents. The central location and proximity to rapid transportation radically improves the convenience for patients traveling from other cities across the province, increasing the likelihood of residents taking control of their health and well-being.
- 50,000 square meters (538,000 square feet)
- 350 beds
- Adaptive reuse
- 2023 Humanities Medical Interior Design Innovation Award, China Humanities Medical Architecture Award Series
- 2023 Individual Innovation Award, Chad Porter, Chief Designer, China Humanities Medical Architecture Award Series
- 2022 Pro+ Award, Silver Award
- Interior Healthcare/Wellness(Built), Rethinking The Future Awards 2021
- BEST REFURBISHED BUILDING-BRONZE, MIPIM ASIA 2020