Create a 21st century health care destination that will attract the best surgeons and genetic researchers and enhance the hospital’s goal of becoming a multi-functional neighborhood amenity.
The Design Solution
The design offers fluid pedestrian access through the site along with public amenities that will engage local communities and the adjacent neighborhoods when it opens in 2019. It appropriates the aesthetic and purpose of Wuhan’s magnificent bridges to highlight movement through the hospital and clinics while improving flow and efficiency of operations. The layout follows a pinwheel pattern that radiates from a central core, maximizing views to the south and arranging the towers so that they can be distinctly phased. Clinics are oriented toward an internal court to enable easy access and encourage the public to be proactive about their health care.
The Design Impact
The arrangement of the towers allows them to be built in different phases and is reminiscent of the sails of docked ships, representing Wuhan as a port city. When open, the project will be Taikang Health’s first large-scale facility for both VIPs and general patients.
- 175,100 square meters (1,884,556 square feet) above-grade
- 269,400 square meters (2.9 million square feet) including underground parting and logistics
- 1,100-bed hospital
- Awaiting LEED certification
- Women’s services
- Pediatric, cardiac and orthopedic facilities.
- Emergency department
- Imaging center
- 12-person hyperbaric chamber
- Rehabilitation center
- 20-room surgery center
- 45-bed dialysis center
- Endoscopy center
- Cancer treatment center with outpatient chemotherapy and nuclear medicine.