To design a multi-faceted tennis complex that would serve as the “home” of American tennis where players ranging from junior amateurs to seasoned professionals can learn, train and play in a world-class setting.
The Design Solution
The USTA National Campus features dozens of modernized courts with various surfaces, a training center, housing facilities and administrative office space for the United States Tennis Association. More than two dozen PlaySight SmartCourts have video cameras, and a kiosk allows players and coaches to stop practice and watch instant replay or monitor stats from every match or drill.
The entire project was designed to connect the five buildings to the land, so the building massing is off the ground to create outdoor shaded areas while deep overhangs and trellis structures protect exterior windows.
The Design Impact
Since opening in January 2017, the USTA National Campus has hosted tournaments, training sessions for all skill levels, and intense high school and college matches. In 2019 and 2021, it will host the NCAA Division I Tennis Championships. The environmentally friendly administration building is LEED certified.
- 65 Acres, 175,000 square feet
- 100 courts
- NCAA Tournament venue
- Home and visitor locker rooms
- Live streaming-equipped courts
- State-of-the-art training center
- Covered patio deck overlooking outdoor courts
- Retail/pro shop
- Corporate headquarters office building, LEED certified
- 2017 AIA Orlando Chapter, Award of Excellence
- 2017 Associated Builders and Contractors, Central Florida Chapter, Eagle Award for Excellence in Construction
- 2016 AIA Orlando Chapter), Merit Award, Unbuilt
HKS was excellent from concept design through construction. They listened to the client and provided cost effective solutions that look and perform great. HKS was very professional and thorough.”
VP of Development Operations, Tavistock Development