Naval Hospital at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton New Naval Hospital Follows Orders – Quickly and On a Budget
Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, California, USA
To replace an important existing military health care campus within the confines of a greatly compressed construction schedule.
The Design Solution
Situated on a 70-acre site near the south entrance to the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, the hospital was the largest American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 project awarded in the Department of Navy. To meet ARRA requirements, HKS designers and the rest of the building team compressed the project schedule from the typical five- to seven-year time frame to just 40 months.
The team managed to surpass even that high-pressure deadline, completing the project in 34 months by implementing a phased-design approach, working with Navy personnel to identify critical path activities available for early starts, and eventually dividing the project into six design packages.
The Design Impact
The team delivered the project six months ahead of schedule and more than $100 million under budget.
- 1 million square foot (92,903 sm) healthcare campus
- 500,000 square foot (46,451 sm) hospital
- 54 patient rooms (up to 60 beds)
- Green roofs
- Healing gardens
- LEED Gold certified
- 2014 AGC Build America Marvin M. Black Excellence in Partnering Award, Best New Building Project
- 2014 Engineering News-Record, Best of the Best in Healthcare
- 2014 Building Design+Construction, Building Teams Award, Platinum
- 2014 Construction Management Association of America, San Diego Chapter, Project of the Year
- 2014 Design-Build Institute of America, Western Pacific Region, Project of the Year/Best in Show
- 2013 Design-Build Institute of America, Western Pacific Region, Distinction Award
"People have told me that they find it very relaxing; that they don’t feel like they’re in a scary hospital — they’ve arrived at a place where people will help them. "Capt. Mark A. Kobelja Commanding Officer of the Naval Hospital Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton