Parker Adventist Hospital A Hospital That Feels Like a Mountain Lodge
Parker, Colorado, USA
Population growth drove the need for a full-service acute care facility, while the context of the surrounding mountains set the scene for more inviting and natural elements. The HKS design team was tasked with striking a balance between the need for technical and patient space, and the community’s desire for connection with the outdoors.
The Design Solution
A lodge-like design mirrors the majestic mountains of Colorado. Three story chimneys and large and locally-sourced wood and stone finishes reflect an emphasis on verticality and scale and offer spacious and non-institutional atmosphere for this growing community.
The exterior and interior materials selection and design elements exemplify local vernaculars. The ideas of the mountains being majestic and stable inspired the team to explore an entry element that accentuated vertically.
The hospital offers emergency/trauma care, cardiac services, surgical services, intensive care, diagnostic imaging, a birthing center with NICU and a partnership with The Children’s Hospital for specialized pediatric care.
The design accommodates more growth by keeping administrative functions in an adjacent 85,000 square foot medical office building. Flexibly planned medical facilities allow for departmental shifts to occur without disrupting the day-to-day care of patients. The patient wing is configured so that 75 percent of the rooms have views of prominent mountain peaks.
The Design Impact
Douglas County is one of the fastest growing communities in the United States. Centura Health and HKS teamed to meet the needs of this growth by providing comprehensive and compassionate health care through the design of the 271,000-square-foot Parker Adventist Hospital.
- 271,000 square feet (25,176 sm)
- 40 acres
- 101 beds (can expand to 400 beds)
- 20,300 square foot (1,885 sm) emergency department
- Four pediatric observation rooms
- Three-story fireplace
- 2005 AIA Dallas, Juror Commendation
- 2004 AIA Mondern Healthcare Design Competition, The Award of Excellence
- 2004 Symposium on Healthcare Design, Symposium Distinction Award
- 2004 Colorado Construction, Gold Hard Hat Award
- 2004 Center for Healthcare Design Citation of Merit
- 2003 Symposium on Healthcare Design, Symposium Distinction Award