Optus Stadium Massive LED Lighting System and Specially-Made Roof Provide a Home for Both Sports and Non-Sports Enthusiasts
To design a stadium that meets the dual goal of serving as a multipurpose modern sports facility as well as a useful destination for citizens and non-sporting activities.
The Design Solution
Optus Stadium is home to both the West Coast Eagles and the Fremantle Dockers of the Australian Rules Football League. Designers used anodized aluminum on the stadium’s bronze façade to reflect the special geology of Western Australia by day, and a 15,000-light LED system at night that can highlight the team colors of either the Eagles or the Dockers. The pitch is oval-shaped to accommodate cricket matches in addition to other types of sporting events. Designers also lowered the seating bowl to give fans exceptional views and bring them closer to the action on the field. The structure’s lightweight fabric roof, created specifically for the stadium, provides shelter to 85 percent of the facility’s 60,000-seats. The project’s responsible design not only celebrates the six seasons recognized by Australia’s indigenous community, it also includes a network of walking and cycling trails, as well as playgrounds, picnic areas and a boardwalk for use by the public. HKS is part of the WESTADIUM consortium that includes Hassell Studio and Cox Architecture.
The Design Impact
Optus Stadium will host a variety of events including cricket and soccer matches and major concerts, in addition to Australian Rules Football contests. Non-sports enthusiasts who come to the area around the stadium will have access to an amphitheater, children’s playgrounds and picnic areas. Disabled fans were kept in mind throughout the design process and there are wheelchairs positions at every level and more than 70 universally accessible toilets throughout the facility.
- 60,000 seats
- 15,000-light LED system
- Natural couch grass mixed with rye and artificial grass playing surface
- Flexible warm-up and recovery areas
- 2019 From Plan to Place, National Award for Planning Excellence, Planning Institute Australia
- 2019 World's Most Beautiful Stadium, Prix Versailles
- 2018 West Australia Architecture Award, Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture, Australia Institute of Architects
- 2018 West Australia Architecture Award, George Temple Poole Award, Australia Institute of Architects
- 2018 West Australia Architecture Award:, Mondoluce Lighting Award, Australia Institute of Architects
- 2018 Western Australia Architecture Awards, Jeffrey Howlett Award for Public Architecture, Australia Institute of Architects
- 2018 Western Australia Architecture Awards, The Wallace Greenham Award for Sustainable Architecture, Australia Institute of Architects