Children’s Hospital of Richmond Pavilion at Virginia Commonwealth University An Urban Oasis for Children and Their Families
Richmond, Virginia, USA
To create a healing environment for children and their families while connecting caregivers, researchers, students and faculty in a coordinated care and learning environment that is less stressful for patients.
The Design Solution
Located at the gateway to the Medical College of Virginia campus, the 10-story ambulatory pavilion consolidates existing pediatric clinics into a new building in an urban setting. The vertical pavilion includes a surgery level, three levels of pediatric clinics and a floor dedicated to faculty offices, research and medical student education.
The Design Impact
The Children’s Hospital of Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth University is now the largest and most advanced outpatient health facility dedicated to children in its region. With an emphasis on physical, visual and abstract connections to nature, the Pavilion has a calming, restorative effect on all who experience the building, reducing anxiety and stress, and in turn, promoting health and healing.
- 245,000 square foot (22,761 sm) clinical program
- 600-car parking structure
- Primary and sub-specialty pediatric care
- Outpatient surgical and imaging services
- Faculty offices
- Resource center
- Medical student education
- Clinical research
- LEED Silver certification (NC v2009)
- 2018 Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture, AIA Richmond
- 2018 Evidence-Based Design Touchstone Award, Gold Category
- 2017 Citation Award, Design and Wellbeing, AIA DC
- 2017 Silver Award, Modern Healthcare Design Awards
- 2017 Interior Design Excellence Award (IDEA), Honorable Mention, IIDA VA/WV Chapter and ASID Virginia Chapter
- 2017 Pinnacle Award, American Council of Engineering Companies of Virginia