keywordRelated searchesType your search term & press enterTo exit search function, press esc
True luxury is in the details. The exacting steps taken to ensure that every piece is in place and every angle considered. Incorporating old-world splendor with the modern conveniences and technology of today requires seamless planning and craftsmanship. The result is one of the finest residences in one of the world’s greatest cities.
The hotel and luxury condominiums face the historic Chicago Water Tower and Pumping Station on Michigan Avenue, in the heart of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile. The Park Tower’s understated design evokes the eminence of fine Parisian establishments while taking full advantage of spectacular views afforded by the site. The hotel’s windows visually frame a small park across the way, replete with vintage lamps and a carriage stand, reminiscent of street scenes of the French Impressionists. The condominium floors above provide views of Chicago’s most beautiful vistas, the Museum of Contemporary Art and the breathtaking expanse of Lake Michigan. Park Tower houses a 20-story, 203-room Park Hyatt Hotel at its base, and 122 luxury condominiums fill the remaining 57 stories, regarded by many as the city’s finest condominium residences.
The development includes the 1917 Perkins Fellows & Hamilton Studios, a three-story landmark north of the tower. Restoration included rebuilding the finely detailed Arts & Crafts-influenced brick façade, installing structural steel bracing and replacing deteriorated cornices, moldings, lintels and glazing systems. Behind the façade, the structure was demolished and the space reconfigured to house retail functions.
Verticality is emphasized in the main elements of the building exterior, largely a composition of alternating courses of tinted windows set into warm gray spandrel panels and exterior structural columns clad in buff-colored limestone. Corners are softened by symmetrical courses of curving recessed balconies.
The pitched copper roof has both ornamental and functional attributes. Its contrasting form and color enhance the project’s identity; but within it is a 300-ton tuned mass damper, a structural device that serves to reduce the horizontal movement associated with lateral wind loads.
Additional program elements include 91,000 square feet of enclosed parking (well-hidden on the western portion of the site), and 19,000 square feet of retail space, a portion of which is behind the expertly restored brick façade of the 1917 Perkins Fellows & Hamilton Studios, a three-story architectural landmark to the north.